Explore Costa Rica
Beautiful, verdant Costa Rica has a well-deserved reputation as the #1 destination in Central America for students looking for an ecologically and culturally rich travel adventure.
San Jose, Sarapiqui, La Fortuna-Arenal Volcano, Tenorio Volcano Park/Rio Celeste, and Playa Blanca
July 10-26, 2019
Why Choose This Program
- Gain a minimum of 20 volunteer hours
- Volunteer at a dog rescue centre
- Experience five unique bio-diverse areas
- Explore volcanos and stunning waterfalls
- Eco-Hikes and wildlife adventures
- Zip-line through a Rain Forest!
- All breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- Licensed guides at National Parks
- Eco-focused accommodations
- Incredible beach at Playa Blanca
- Latin American culture and cuisine
Begin your journey in San Jose, and travel northeast to the Sarapiqui region where rust red-orange earth meets vibrant jade green water in the heart of thick, lush rainforests where butterflies swoop and the sounds of cicadas echo all around. Sarapiqui is considered to be one of the world’s most important research stations for tropical rainforests and you will have the unique oportunity to live in the midst of the rainforest at a unique tented lodge at the entrance to Braulio Carillo National Park. At this private reserve, enjoy eco-adventures and volunteer in the local community, all while immersing yourself in the magic of the rainforest.
Continue your exploration of Costa Rica’s rich biodiversity and travel north to La Fortuna-Arenal, a charming town that lies at the base of the country’s most notable georgraphic feature: the mighty Arenal Volcano. Although now in a dormant phase, Arenal offers unparalled opportunities for eco-hikes and viewing the flora and fauna that inhabit the region such as monkeys, sloths and over 500 species of birds. A highlight will be your time spent volunteering at dog rescue sanctuary where you can bottle feed puppies and help build a new animal enclosure!
Tenorio Volcano National Park is a world above the rest of the country and consists of four volcano peaks and two craters. It’s a place of cloud forests and the famous Celeste River, a hyper-pigmented turquoise river that winds through the Park leading to hot springs, waterfalls, lagoons and panoramic vistas. In addition to the cloud forest, half of the park is rain forest, which leads to an abundance of bio-diversity. You’ll discover all this and more on hikes along the lovely Celeste River.
End your trip on one of the most beautiful beaches along the entire Pacific coast! While in Playa Blanca, you’ll stay at a genuine forest resort with beachfront access. Playa Blanca’s white sand beach is consistently rated one of the most authentic and least “touristy” beach areas in Costa Rica, while still offering all the amenities you could want. You’ll enjoy beach “Olympics”, visit to a butterfly sanctuary, a beach volleyball tournament, and forest hikes in a vast private nature sanctuary.
Come and experience Costa Rica’s natural magnificence this summer on this journey that will truly show you the real Costa Rica!
Canadian & World Issues
Environmental & Resource Management
*Please note, there will be five days of classes held prior to departure
- San Jose: 1 night
- Sarapiqui: 4 nights
- La-Fortuna-Arenal: 5 nights
- Tenorio-Rio Celeste : 2 nights
- Playa Blanca: 4 nights
What Is Included
- Round-trip airfare from Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica on Air Transat
- All transfers via private coach
- Accommodations in centrally located Eco lodges and hotels
- Ontario High School Credit
- 20 hours of volunteer hours
- Licensed guides at national parks for all eco-hikes
- Camping adventure in Sarapiqui at eco-lodge
- Costa Rica cooking class
- Dance classes (learn or perfect some latino moves!)
- Chocolate tour and tasting
- Horseback riding in Sarapiqui rainforest
- Zip-line canopy tour of the rain forest
- Butterfly farm and sanctuary tour
- Volunteer at animal sanctuary and dog rescue centre
- Envoironmental stewardship volunteer hours at a reforestation project
- Pre-departure briefing and material
- Online and in-class programme prior to departure (5 days)
Fee does not include:
- Optional insurance cost of $185.00
- Spending money
- Four Optional Excursions: Canopy Tour, Tabacon Hot Springs, Manuel Antonio National Park and 1 more to be finalized
- Textbooks (approx $20.00)
“Costa Rica is AMAZING! I cannot believe how beautiful it is. There are so many different animals and on the night hike through the rain forest we saw monkeys and sloths. A real highlight was the Dog Rescue Centre – the puppies are adorable!”
Fun Facts About Costa Rica
- According to the Happy Planet Index, it's the happiest place to live on earth!
- Its coffee is the best in the world
- Boasting 52+ species, it's the world's hummingbird capital
- It's literally the most peaceful place on earth - since 1949 there is no army or military
Fine Print: It is the responsibility of all participants to ensure that they have a valid passport and that no additional travel documents are necessary. Georgia Hardy Tours Inc. is not responsible for inadequate travel documents. Georgia Hardy Tours reserves the right to make changes in the itinerary when necessary for the convenience and safety of tour participants. Any extra cost in the unlikely event of itinerary changes must be borne by the individual participant.
Responsibility and Jurisdiction: Georgia Hardy Tours and their agents act only as agents for the passengers with respect to services supplied to passengers by others, including but not limited to transportation, hotel and restaurant services, on the express condition that they are not liable for any failure in such services, or injury, loss or damage, delay or inconvenience arising out of or in connection with any defect in any vehicle or any act, omission, accident or error in providing such transportation, hotel, restaurant or other services. There is no refund for unused portions of the tour. In case of an accident occurring during the land portion of any tour, the passenger must submit any claim therefore only to the competent judicial authorities of the jurisdiction where such accident occurred, to be determined exclusively in accordance with the laws of such jurisdiction. By accepting the coupons and tickets and utilizing the services, the passenger agrees that Georgia Hardy Tours nor any affiliated or subsidiary companies or representatives shall be liable for any loss, injury or damage to the passenger or belongings or otherwise in connection with any accommodations, transportation or other services or resulting directly from any occurrences beyond its control including breakdown in equipment, strikes, theft, delay or cancellation or changes in itinerary or schedules, etc. Georgia Hardy Tours and its agents reserve the right to refuse to accept or retain any person as a member of this tour. The right is reserved to withdraw any or all of the tour or portions thereof. All tour services including, but not limited to hotel accommodations, restaurants, guide services and transportation are furnished by independent contractors.
We Would Love to Hear from You!
Do you have travel questions or would like to know more about how GHT can help you plan a group trip?